Monday, June 4, 2007

More Linux Gripes

So, I thought (according to all the Linux fanpeople) that Linux was so much better than Windows because it never required updates? I have had more automatic updates and reboots on my Linux machine than my Windows machine in the last week!

I still like Ubuntu though and I fully expect more updates as Linux matures. It's just that what a lot of people don't seem to be able to understand (or maybe admit) is that all software is prone to error and needs to be fixed. Nobody's perfect (although some of us are more perfect...err.. quality-conscientious than others), and the more people that use your software on a daily basis will only serve to reinforce that little nugget of reality.

At any rate - I have put my Linux trials on hold for now because my ancient computer was simply too painful to use. I must admit that WinXP ran much better and faster on that machine, but I think it has a lot to do with the graphics card. For now, I am back to my laptop (and XP). Note to self:

Huge resolutions
+ crappy gfx card from the 90's
+ latest and greatest FOS OS
---------------------------------
Poor user experience

I think when I buy my new uber-computer (probably with a new ATI HD2900XT or some other outrageous graphics card) I'll try dual-booting Linux/Windows and continue my evaluation. Although at this point I'm not sure if the latter will be XP or Vista. I guess it depends on when I actually spec out and buy this beast.

Any recommendations on what to buy would be welcome (if anyone actually reads this). I've been out of the hardware game for awhile...

If only there were new Amiga hardware available. ;O)

No comments: